So, another game. This time, one of my favorites: The Witcher 2. If you liked the first Witcher, you should really really play Witcher 2. I'm not gonna talk so much about the contents of the game, there are a lot of sites for this. I'm gonna talk about how you install this on GNU/Linux.
First of all, I use the version from GOG [link]
, i.e. enhanced edition with patch 2.1. Now, this version is pretty difficult to install, so I try to be as informative as possible.
(1) Create a new WINEPREFIX. I create a fresh new WINEPREFIX for each game I install, hence avoiding to mix several games with one WINEPREFIX which may arise a lot of problems. Create a new fresh WINEPREFIX through terminal:
env winetricks prefix=Witcher_2 vcrun2010 d3dx10
This will install a new WINEPREFIX followed with vcrun2010 and d3dx10. Keep in mind to NOT change the order of vcrun2010 and d3dx10 cause otherwise it will fail.
(2) Install the game:
env WINEDEBUG="-all" WINEPREFIX="$HOME/.local/share/wineprefixes/Witcher_2/" wine setup_the_witcher_2_ee_18.104.22.168
(3) Graphic tweaks: disable GLSL using: 'winetricks glsl=disabled' :
env winetricks prefix=Witcher_2 glsl=disabled
(4) Graphic tweaks: edit user.reg:
edit user.reg located at: $HOME/.local/share/wineprefixes/Witcher_2/user.reg
Add the following after the line: "UseGLSL"="disabled"
512 is my memory size of my graphic card, you should use your own memory size for your graphic card.
(5) Patch to 3.1 to skip .NET 4.0:
Download patch 3.1 from [link]
, execute it with:
env WINEDEBUG="-all" WINEPREFIX="$HOME/.local/share/wineprefixes/Witcher_2/" wine TW2EE_Patch3.1
(6) Time to play the game, launch it:
env WINEDEBUG="-all" WINEPREFIX="$HOME/.local/share/wineprefixes/Witcher_2/" wine "$HOME/.local/share/wineprefixes/Witcher_2/drive_c/Program Files/GOG.com/The Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition/bin/witcher2.exe"
That's it! It was not so hard, was it?
GG and HF!